Careers Advice and Guidance at The Westleigh School
The Westleigh School provides access to an independent, impartial Careers Adviser from years 7-11.
Joan Courtney is the Careers Adviser at The Westleigh School. She works with young people to offer advice and guidance in order to help plan for the future.
The decisions that you make about your future will be some of the most important decisions you make in your life. You might have no ideas at the moment about what you would like to do in the future, or you might have very clear and thoroughly researched plans. Either way, speaking to a Careers Adviser can be very helpful.
How can a Careers Adviser help you?
- You will be given the opportunity to think and talk about your plans for the future with a qualified careers specialist, who is independent of the school.
- You have the opportunity to talk about what is important to you; an interview with a careers adviser is based around you and your needs.
- She can help you explore all of the options that are open to you, allowing you to make an informed choice about what you would like to do in the future.
- She provides impartial information and advice on a wide range of topics, including apprenticeships, further education courses, university courses, student finance, careers and job searching.
- She helps you to consider your skills and abilities and how these can relate to your ideas about what you would like to do in the future.
- She can provide you with up to date careers information and show you different websites where you are able to continue your research to enable you to have increased confidence about your chosen course or career.
Joan is based in the Careers Office in J Block in school on Thursdays.
In Year 10/11 you will be invited for a Careers interview- please make sure you attend.
Mrs Courtney is also available to chat to students on Thursdays at the following times:
Before lessons from 8am-8.45am
During lunch at 1.05pm-1.45pm
After school from 2.45pm-4pm
For any parents seeking careers advice on students' behalf, please use the contact details below:-
- Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone- 07910949770
If you require any further information don’t hesitate to contact either Mr Kearns (deputy headteacher) who oversees our careers provision in school, or Mrs Malone who is the school's careers coordinator.
Page updated: 01/08/2019