On 16 and 17 June, the British Army Youth Outreach Team from Sandhurst visited our school to put our Year 8s and 9s through their paces with a range of activities which focused on the important skills of teamwork, resilience, leadership skills and raising aspirations.
During the day, students worked with all the soldiers and their form tutors to:
- Build and fire a pair of wooden tanks
- Solve a series of Army based problems (relating to maths, electronics etc) to reveal a code.
- Move a barrel using only rope (students are unable to be within a 4 metre radius of the barrel)
- Build and fire a catapult.
- Science challenge – design body armour
- Top Trumps for armoured fighting vehicles
- Who dunnit?’ – Forensics challenge using techniques used by the Royal Military Police
- Escape Boxes
Watch this space for an update of the winners!
The feedback from the soldiers was:
"This is by far the best school we have visited. The hospitality is fabulous and the kids are amazing!"
Page updated: 21/06/2021